Thursday, January 30, 2014

No More Sorrow, No More Pain

Dear Dad,

Wow, what a long, rough, winding road these last two and a half years have been. Honestly, I'm sitting here feeling lost; like I should be at the hospital, or planning to go get you to take you to an appointment at HSC. 

When you first were diagnosed, I had no clue what to expect. I always heard the "C" word and right away think hair loss and puking. I'm sorry for my ignorance; it just always reminded me of the Julia Roberts movie, Dying Young. I have since experienced that it is not just that, but so much more.

I'll never forget the first Christmas we spent with you after not seeing you for a very long time. Isabella was only 7 months old. It was a time of great healing and reconnecting for us. I was so nervous to see you and so overwhelmed at how nice it felt.


That Christmas was the beginning of a wonderful relationship that we would cultivate together. I'll never forget the reaction Danica had to coming home from a mini vacation to her room being done, just how she had designed it with you. You spent all weekend with the guys at our place working around the clock to get this very special project done for a very special granddaughter of yours.


You were always so willing to help all of us with the many things we wanted to get done. I know that you so very badly wanted to see them all through to the end, however, this disease simply wouldn't allow your body to do that.

Dad, I already miss your stupid jokes - that half the time we only laughed because we were humouring you. Oh, how you loved to make everyone around you laugh. Our humour is a trait that I know we all inherited from you, so for that, thank you.

I wish there had been more time. I felt like we were just really starting to develop the close relationship we had been missing for so long. I know there were struggles and hurts that we both had, but I also know that we both made peace with each other and with God. For that I will forever be grateful.

Being able to spend your last days with you was heartbreaking and humbling at the same time. You went from being invincible, never being sick, to laying in bed not able to speak or take care of yourself. You were so strong, fighting right until the very end. You have left a hole in this family that will now be filled with memories of you.

As we prepare to lay you to rest forever, I know that your soul is already with God. I know that He and the angels are rejoicing. I could almost hear the party going on while I drove home from the hospital last night. Heaven just got more awesome.

Thank you, Dad, for planting the seed of Jesus in us when we were little. For showing us that no matter what, it is NEVER too late to receive Christ and have an opportunity to spend eternity with Him.

Dad, you'll be missed abundantly, but I'm sure you are hard at work helping to build our mansions in the sky; you're doing what you loved to do for those you love most.

I love you, Dad. xoxo

Love always, 
Marcy



I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment