Sunday, July 3, 2011

Child-like Faith

First of all, as I said in my previous blog, I'm VERY new to this, so when I first created this blog, I didn't mean to call it Hmmm. That was actually supposed to be my first post title, but I obviously did it wrong! So now, here it is. It's called Hmmm, which I guess is fitting, since I'm always wondering what will end up in the post once I begin to write. Just thought I would clarify that in case anyone was thinking, "Why in the world would she use such a stupid blog name?!"

Anyways...

Today Isabella was having a bit of an off day. Actually, I shouldn't really say that. Just because, if I went based on her attitude, every day would be a bit of an off day. She's a very busy, smart, funny, defiant, stubborn, incredibly loving (when she wants to), and absolutely perfect in her mommy's eyes, child. Today was no different. Since we are having our carpets cleaned tomorrow (finally), we are trying to get out of the habit of allowing the kids to drink in the living room. Well, Isabella had her cup of water and wanted to bring it in there and I said no. She, in her usual I'm-going-to-see-how-far-I-can-take-this attitude yelled YES! So what did I do? I took the cup away from her. And what did she do? Yep, she hit the cup, which went flying out of my hand and landed on the floor. Keep in mind that it was only water, but that's not the point. I picked her up, spanked her bottom and put her in her room for a time out.

~ Sorry, but I have to interrupt the story to tell what just happened to me. I'm sitting on the chaise in my room typing this and Jay is sleeping (snoring away). All of a sudden he says "Speak Up". First of all, it COMPLETELY freaked me out because the only noise is the humming on my laptop and the sound of the fan. Once I realized that, no, I didn't crap my pants, I said, "What?" and again he said, "Speak up". I was confused. "Speak up about what?" "You were explaining the *insert inaudible mumbling here*" "What???" "You were explaining how the dollar works" (figures he's dreaming about bills or something) "Jay, I wasn't even talking! You must be dreaming." "You must be right." And now he's snoring again. STRANGE!

So, as I was saying, Isabella was sent to time out. Five minutes later she comes out of her room and asks for a drink. I said, "What do you say to Mommy?" "Sorry Mama" "Do you know what you're sorry for?" "For frowing my drink." "That makes mommy very sad and that makes Jesus sad too!" Then she looks at me, a bit worried and says "Pastor Graham telled Jesus?!" What a kid I have! But it got me thinking tonight about how I view God.

You see, Isabella views Jesus like a person. We talk about Him as a friend. Jesus is our friend who we can't see. She just accepts that. It is so hard for us to accept something that we cannot see, hear, or touch.

I came to know Christ as a child - just like Isabella - but Jay was an adult. It was so much harder for him to believe. He once asked Danica (I believe she was seven years old at the time) why she believed in God and she simply said "Because I do". Just like that. She didn't need "proof", she just BELIEVED. Hearing Isabella tonight during her prayers, I couldn't help but pray for God to give me that child-like faith back.

~Oh my, Jay keeps talking in his sleep!~

It's so easy for us to point our finger at someone else, to accuse them (maybe not in so many words) that their faith isn't where WE think it should be. That, if they REALLY were a follower of Jesus Christ, they wouldn't be doing this or doing that. Do we even realize that we are thinking that? If we really took inventory of our thoughts, how many times would we realize that we are being completely hypocritical? I am guilty of this. Even guilty of this this weekend.

I pray, as hard as it is, for God to point out where my faith is lacking. Where my mistakes lie. I pray that He will give me that nudge to take stock of my own life. To do my own inventory; to clean out the corners of my life where some of that faith has grown dusty.

I think that's why I feel the need to write this blog. In a way it is my own way of taking ownership of my faith - my mistakes and my triumphs - in Christ.

Tonight I had my siblings over because Dad felt good enough to take a drive out. It was so very nice. God showed me how fortunate I am to have such loving, caring, extremely understanding siblings who are not perfect, just like me. We are so perfectly flawed and I am so grateful.

I'm starting to get a bit giddy. Maybe it's because I'm tired, but maybe, just maybe, it's that child-like faith bubbling up and over...

I am going to join my husband in the land of sleep-talking now. Sweet Dreams...

Mark 10:13-16 13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment