Thursday, July 28, 2011

Awe, you think I'm pretty?!

"Mommy, you're not cool but you are pretty!", so says my three year-old to me today. It made me chuckle because just the other day she told me that she "wuvs" my tummy; it's so nice and squishy! Oh, to be three again. To not have to worry about anything other than eating, sleeping, and playing. No body image issues; that doesn't come until at least five years old these days (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it does start so much younger than it used to).

For some reason tonight (because Isabella tells me I'm pretty quite often), it really stuck in my mind. It made me want to cry a little bit when I tucked her in tonight and listened to her say her bedtime prayers. She looks at me like I am the best thing; her whole world. She doesn't see the imperfections that I see every single time I look in the mirror.

Why is it that we are so consumed with our outer appearance? Don't get me wrong, I do think we need to do all that we can to be healthy (which I find EXTREMELY difficult). I want to lose a lot of weight, partly because I know I need to get healthier; I want to be able to run around with my kids and not get tired right away. But I think it's mostly because I'm embarrassed. Embarrassed of what OTHER people think of me. Embarrassed because my oldest is now a teenager and I don't want her to be ashamed of me. Embarrassed, far too embarrassed, to do anything but make "fat" jokes about myself. I'm not depressed about my weight, but I certainly am ashamed of it.

On the other hand, I am so very fortunate that I have to be concerned with this. Some have self-image issues over things that are/were completely out of their control. So many people talk about their weight and working out, and that's awesome. But what about the ones that are so low about a birthmark on their body that everyone can see. Or the lazy eye that people make fun of (which was me as a kid). Or the crooked teeth they have because their parents couldn't afford braces. What are we teaching our kids? We play a HUGE role in how our kids will view themselves, their peers, and anyone else, for that matter. If we are obsessing over our image, would it not rub off on our kids? Would it make them feel that much more insecure or maybe that much more arrogant? Maybe it would make them look differently at someone who is noticeably "flawed".

For me, I am working at my "inner" flaws, my spiritual ones. God just keeps pointing them out to me lol. But the more I work on that, the more it makes me want to work on my "outer" flaws. It makes me want to get healthy because God wants that for us. I know I am perfect to Him. I mean, He created me and He doesn't make mistakes! But I want to honor Him by taking care of myself. I want to be able to be an example to my kids of what a positive self-image looks like, both physically and spiritually. I want them to be the ones that aren't embarrassed to befriend the kid that's different. To look at someones heart rather than their appearance. I want my children to LOVE themselves, just like GOD LOVES THEM.

If I can give that gift to my children, I will have accomplished something big. And all accomplishments deserve rewards...like maybe an ice cream cone... ;)

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment